Friday, January 1, 2010

The Day of the Great Flood

When you wake up the day after Christmas, you expect your day to go as follows.

Lay in bed for a while
Eat breakfast
Play with presents
Watch movie
Eat lunch/dinner
Read a book
Go to sleep

What you don't expect is to hear your husband at 9:00am saying;

"Oh crap! Um babe...the downstairs is flooded."

Unless you've been in this situation, there really aren't any words to discribe the feeling you have when you hear those words. I came tearing down the stairs and sure enough, there was an inch and a half of water in the whole downstairs. Everything was completely soaked! I stared at the floor in shock. I really couldn't say anything. Finally when I came back to myself, I called our landlord. She promised to come over a soon as she could, but seeing as she lives in Lehi, UT, I didn't expect her for a while.

So Weston and I got started on moving everything we could out of the downstairs up into my office. At first we were just doing an assembly line like thing where he would hand me things and I would take them up to the office. But he was taking so long with some things that I finally got my feet wet, literally. We could only really move the blue armchair, the dinning table, and the cherry wood coffee table. Everything else had to stay because it was to heavy or to awkward to move.

Then to make the day even better, I got a call at 10:17am from work calling me in because it was really busy. I throw my phone down and kind of stand in the middle of my torn apart bedroom and have a momentary meltdown. Great, just great. Finally, I pull it together and I change and leave for work. It was amazing, because when I got there, only half of the parking lot was full. I could feel the angry trying to rear it's ugly black head up into my face. With the courage of a knight of old, I forced it down and went to work.

Now the carpet is all gone and there is an island of furniture in the center of the large room that we have to walk around all the time. We've pretty much been living at mom and dad's house for the last few days, which I'm am so sure mom loves. But Weston has been pretty happy because he gets to play on my fathers account for World of War Craft. Needless to say, I've been ignored since we woke up on this first day of January.

We do get new carpet tomorrow which I am crazy excited for! This place has needed new carpet for close to 20 years. No joke. It's greasy and matted down to itself, old and it doesn't clean well. Out of that though, I think it's the fact that there are like 3 different types of carpet in the apartment. One for the downstairs, one on the stairs and the hall and another for the bedrooms. It's a total mess. It has and does drive me crazy. We thought that maybe, just maybe, they would decide now was a good time to replace all the carpet in the apartment, but alas no. But at least we will have good, new carpet in the downstairs. That's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think. Leave a message!